Re: [Fwd: MOC plot]

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 13:32:20 MDT

[1] The 1st question was answered by Adam.

[2] A person familiar with the POP model responds as follows:
===
Yes, you can obtain Pacific+Indian MOC by subtracting the Atlantic
overturning from the Global overturning streamfunction.
===

[3] PLEASE added the .hluresfile located at

  http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/hlures.shtml

to your home directory.

Good luck

On 06/04/2010 11:11 AM, siswanto@climate.unibe.ch wrote:

> Dear NCL users,
>
> I have a problem in plotting MOC from CCSM3 model output as attached fig
> in file 1. I want to plot x-axis as regular spacing latitude, but somehow,
> since the MOC variable has lat_aux_grid (which has different box spacing
> along its latitude, I guess, it produces a weird latitude). So here I post
> some of my questions :
> 1. How to bring it back into regular latitude spacing?
> 2. Since MOC variable in the CCSM3 has only calculated MOC for Atlantic
> ocean and Global ocean. Am I doing right if I just subtract Global with
> Atlantic MOC to obtain Pacific + Indian ocean MOC ? Does anybody know any
> references about or experience to calculate Pacific MOC? I did a kind of
> Eulerian MOC calculation for Pacific as documented in the NCL homepage by
> using variable VVEL, but I'm not pretty sure with the result.
> Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks
>

> Siswanto
> Climate and Environmental Physics siswanto@climate.unibe.ch
> Physics Institute, University of Bern ph: +41 (0)31 631 48 71
> Sidlerstrasse 5, 3012 Bern, Switzerland

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |