Re: "wrf_"functions

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jun 11 2010 - 06:37:26 MDT

On Jun 10, 2010, at 3:33 PM, Yang Yang wrote:

> Hello:
>
> NCL has many functions with names haveing "wrf_". Does this mean
> that these functions can only be used for WRF output? Can they also
> used for other model outputs?(for this case, any hidden requirements?)

Hi Ed,

Probably to better answer this question, we would need to know which
WRF functions you're wondering about.

The wrf_xxxx graphical functions are tuned to WRF data files, so these
wouldn't be useful on other model output datasets. Any wrf_user_xxxx
routines are also for WRF data only.

The wrf_xxxx computational functions, like wrf_slp, wrf_eth, wrf_tk,
etc, are mostly tuned to WRF output, although some may be general
enough for your purpose. You would have
to read the description of the function, and maybe even look at the
underlying Fortran code.

I've attached the wrf_user.f file, which contains many of the
computational routines, in case you want to look at it.

--Mary