Re: warning message while using skewT with eps plots

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 16:35:17 MDT

Hi Prabhakar,

I was able to reproduce this problem using a very basic skew-T script:

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/skewt_func.ncl"
 begin

  wks = gsn_open_wks ("eps", "skewt")

  skewtOpts = True
  skewtOpts@tiMainString = "Default Skew-T"

  skewt_bkgd = skewT_BackGround (wks, skewtOpts)
  draw (skewt_bkgd)
  frame(wks)
  delete (skewtOpts)

 end

There's something going on internally with the EPS file that's causing this "BX" value (which is some kind of eps coordinate for a bounding box) to be negative, which leads me to believe it's getting some really large value that an integer can't hold.

I'll report this to the appropriate developers and see if they have any ideas.

Meanwhile, as a work-around, do you have a "ps2eps" utility on your system? If so, you can do something like this:

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/skewt_func.ncl"
 begin

  wks = gsn_open_wks ("ps", "skewt")

  skewtOpts = True
  skewtOpts@tiMainString = "Default Skew-T"

  skewt_bkgd = skewT_BackGround (wks, skewtOpts)
  draw (skewt_bkgd)
  frame(wks)

;---Deleting the workstation effectively closes the PS file.
  delete (wks)

;---Convert PS to EPS.
  system("ps2eps skewt.ps skewt.eps")

 end