overlaying raster over other fields

From: Joe Grim <grim_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Dec 05 2010 - 09:20:26 MST

Good morning!

I was wondering if anyone could point me to any documentation explaining how
to do something? I am currently trying to plot one field, and then overlay
a raster plot. This is simple to do. However, what is not simple is that I
would prefer to only plot non-missing raster data points, and be able to see
what was plotted below where the raster field is missing. Currently, the
missing values are plotted as white and covers over the lower-laying field.
The only way I can think of accomplishing this would be to plots thousands
of teeny polygons instead of the raster plot, but this would be very
inefficient (and require a lot more coding.) Would anyone be able to help
me find an easier way here?

Thank you very much!

Joe Grim