Re: 3 hrly MM5-CCSM monthly means

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Dec 01 2010 - 14:15:09 MST

Not sure what "MM5-CCSM" files look like.

There is an undocumented function in contributed.ncl

undef ("calculate_monthly_values")
function calculate_monthly_values (x:numeric, arith:string,
nDim[1]:integer, opt[1]:logical)

; calculate monthly values [avg, sum, min, max]
; x: numeric array of 5D or less [eg: time,lev,lat,lon]
; *must* have time coordinate recognized by ut_calendar
; if 5D [case,time,lev,lat,lon]
;
; arith: "avg" [also, "ave"], "sum","min","max" others may be added later
;
; nDim : scalar integer that specifies the 'time' dimension [generally, 0]
;
; opt : option ... not used here
;
; Sample usage: x(time,lat,lon) where time are n-hrly or daily values.
; xMonthAvg = calculate_monthly_values(x, "avg", 0, False)
; xMonthSum = calculate_monthly_values(x, "sum", 0, False)
; xMonthMin = calculate_monthly_values(x, "min", 0, False)
; xMonthMax = calculate_monthly_values(x, "max", 0, False)
;