Re: WY County Borders

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jan 30 2012 - 17:16:53 MST

Hi Katie,
You're right, something's amiss with the Park/Teton county boundaries.
I've reported this. In the meantime, the only other possible avenue I
can come up with to draw the correct boundaries would be to fetch the
county border coordinates from a shapefile from the National Atlas here:
http://www.nationalatlas.gov/atlasftp.html?openChapters=chpref%2Cchpbound#chpbound

Looking at the documentation for the 2005 county updates, in March 1999:
"Yellowstone County was deleted and the boundaries for Gallatin and Park
Counties were adjusted to absorb the area of Yellowstone National Park."
I am guessing Teton County was adjusted as well.

So the NCL county boundaries must predate 1999. It also raises the
strong possibility that there are other issues with other county borders
in NCL, as numerous changes have occurred to county boundaries from
1999-2005 according to the documentation I cited above..

Drawing boundaries from shapefiles can be tedious if you haven't done it
before. See any of the examples here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml

Perhaps others will have a better idea than using a shapefile..
Adam