Re: : cnFillMode problem

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Mar 28 2012 - 14:29:51 MDT

Dear Xin,

What's happening with the raster fill is that you have some areas with
no data, which get filled in with white, because you can't have
transparency in a raster plot. You will need to use CellFill in order
to get the transparency and still be able to see all the overlaid
contours. I will update the example on the HDF page to reflect this
issue.

Can you explain what you mean by the CellFill not looking good?

One word of caution: whenever you are comparing several contour plots
and using one labelbar to represent them all, you need to make sure
that you set the contour levels to the same range for every plot. If
you don't do this, NCL is going to pick "nice" contour levels for each
plot you create, and the levels may be different from one plot to the
next, if your data range changes.

To fix this, I added the following resources to your script:

   res@cnLevelSelectionMode = "ManualLevels"
   res@cnMinLevelValF = 0.0
   res@cnMaxLevelValF = 2.0
   res@cnLevelSpacingF = 0.125

Also, I don't know if this was intentional, but the min/max range you
chose for the map (via mpMin/MaxLat/LonF) is not big enough to cover
the full range of your actual lat2d/lon2d arrays.

I've attached a version of your plot that was draw with the default
AreaFill versus CellFill so you can compare.

--Mary