Re: Regridding from regular lat lon to rotated lat lon

From: Matthias Demuzere <Matthias.demuzere_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Feb 22 2012 - 02:05:39 MST

Hi Mary,

Sounds interesting!
I have uploaded 2 files to the FTP under folder incoming/md/
The surfdata*** file is the original file that should be interpolated
onto the TargetGrid.nc file, which holds the rotated lonlat coordinates.

Will be great to see whether the new ncl tools can handle this regridding!

Kind regards,
Matthias

On 02/21/2012 10:46 PM, Mary Haley wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Through a collaboration with the Earth System Modeling Framework at NOAA/CIRES, we will have some new regridding capabilities available in NCL V6.1.0-beta (this will be the release before NCL V6.1.0).
>
> You can see a new page of examples, that is currently under construction:
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml
>
> Can you provide me with the two lat/lon grids and the variable you want to regrid, and I'll see if our new regridding software can handle it?
>
> You can use our ftp:
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/report_bug.shtml#HowToFTP
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Mary
>
> On Feb 21, 2012, at 10:52 AM, Matthias Demuzere wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Basically I would like to regrid a regular lat/lon input file to a rotated lat/lon input file. For both grids, I have the input available:
>>
>> 1. Regular lat/lon -> This is the initial 0.25° grid, with different sizes depending on the variables (varying between 1 and 4D variables)
>> Horizontal grids :
>> 1 : generic> size : dim = 260
>> 2 : generic> size : dim = 2600 nx = 260 ny = 10
>> 3 : generic> size : dim = 4420 nx = 260 ny = 17
>> 4 : generic> size : dim = 1
>> 5 : generic> size : dim = 520 nx = 260 ny = 2
>> 6 : generic> size : dim = 3900 nx = 260 ny = 15
>> Vertical grids :
>> 1 : surface : 0
>> 2 : generic month : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
>> 3 : generic level : 1 2
>> Time axis : 200 steps
>>
>> and
>>
>> # gridID 0
>> #
>> gridtype = generic
>> gridsize = 260
>> xname = x
>> xunits = degrees
>> yname = y
>> yunits = degrees
>> xsize = 260
>> #
>> # gridID 1
>> #
>> gridtype = generic
>> gridsize = 2600
>> xname = x
>> xunits = degrees
>> yname = y
>> yunits = degrees
>> xsize = 260
>> ysize = 10
>> #
>> # gridID 2
>> #
>> gridtype = generic
>> gridsize = 4420
>> xname = x
>> xunits = degrees
>> yname = y
>> yunits = degrees
>> xsize = 260
>> ysize = 17
>> #
>> # gridID 3
>> #
>> gridtype = generic
>> gridsize = 1
>> xname = x
> [...]

FWO Post-doctoral Research Fellow
KU Leuven
Department of Earth&    Environmental Sciences
Physical and Regional Geography Research Group
Regional climate studies
Celestijnenlaan 200E
3001 Heverlee (Leuven)
BELGIUM
Tel: + 32 16 326424
Fax: + 32 16 322980
matthias.demuzere@ees.kuleuven.be
School of Geography and Environmental Science
Monash University
Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
Matthias.Demuzere@monash.edu