Re: Regridding Question

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jun 14 2012 - 08:16:40 MDT

Hi Michelle,

There are three NetCDF files created by ESMF_regird when you do regridding for the first time:

   1. The NetCDF file that contains a SCRIP (or ESMF) definition of your source grid
   2. The NetCDF file that contains a SCRIP (or ESMF) definition of your destination grid
   3. The NetCDF file that contains the weights.

The #1 and #2 files have to be created, because the software that generates #3 requires that your source and destination grids be in a very specific NetCDF format.

It so happens that you have your own NetCDF files that contain your source and destination grids. You will need to provide the two sets of grids to ESMF_regrid via the SrcGridLat/SrcGridLon attributes and the DstGridLat/DstGridLon attributes. ESMF_regrid will then create the three files and do the interpolation.

In example ESMF_cnd_6.ncl, "srcFileName" is the equivalent of your "bccr.nc" file. This particular example doesn't have a NetCDF file that contains the output grid. It just uses a 1x1 grid, which is calcuated by ESMF_regrid.

You might want to look at example #8, as it has to read the source and destination lat/lon values off the file before it does the regridding.

--Mary