overlay map as a mask

From: Brandon Capasso <sblueknigt_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jun 26 2012 - 08:28:09 MDT

Greetings,

Im looking for a way to overlay a land map projection on top of a sea
contour plot, as to "cover up" any contoured data values that lie outside
the land sea mask of the map file (the data file is very hi-res and has
water points in wet-lands that the map projection will cover up, which is
what i want). I am hoping to use this to cleanup/hide blotches and streaks
of color outside the desired plot region.

Simply masking out the sea points in the file will not do here, because of
the high concentration of wetlands and very shallow water "sea" points in
the dataset.

I actually achieved what I am trying to accomplish using imagemagick, but
this requires me to create/save a template mask for every possible grid
zoom, and it would be much simpler to do it with ncl.

Regards,

Brandon