Re: Reconciling wrf_updraft_helicity and the updraft helicity calculated with UPP/WRF Post Processor

From: James Correia, Jr <jimmyc42_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jul 06 2012 - 12:33:25 MDT

I havent used this code, primarily because its simpler to incorporate this
into the wrf code itself.
Instantaneous updraft helicity is computed over the 2-5km layer, so you
need to use the full geopotential in order to do your integration.

jimmyc

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Capehart, William J <
William.Capehart@sdsmt.edu> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am working with our weather service office trying to better coordinate
> and synchronize our real-time modeling efforts.
>
> We're running into a slight impasse on updraft helicity with UPP and NCL
> producing notably different outputs.
>
> In reviewing the documentation for wrf_updraft_helicity, I am seeing that
> it is asking in the argument list for perturbation geopotential (in the
> WRF output list, PH) but in the example the respective argument is using
> the perturbation + base state geopotential.
>
> Should I be using only PH or (PH + PHB)?
>
> In either case can the NCL documentation be updated to be less confusing?
>
> Thanks Much
> Bill Capehart <William.Capehart@sdsmt.edu> Associate Professor
> Department of Atmospheric Sciences
> 213 Mineral Industries Building Skype/EVO: wcapehart
> South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Ph: +1-605-394-1994
> 501 East Saint Joseph Street Fax: +1-605-394-6061
> Rapid City, SD 57701-3995 Mobile: +1-605-484-5692

James Correia Jr.
OU CIMMS Research Scientist
SPC HWT Liaison
"The highest function of the teacher consists not so much in imparting
knowledge as in stimulating the pupil in its love and pursuit. To know how
to suggest is the art of teaching."