Reconciling wrf_updraft_helicity and the updraft helicity calculated with UPP/WRF Post Processor

From: Capehart, William J <William.Capehart_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jul 06 2012 - 12:17:02 MDT

Hi All

I am working with our weather service office trying to better coordinate
and synchronize our real-time modeling efforts.

We're running into a slight impasse on updraft helicity with UPP and NCL
producing notably different outputs.

In reviewing the documentation for wrf_updraft_helicity, I am seeing that
it is asking in the argument list for perturbation geopotential (in the
WRF output list, PH) but in the example the respective argument is using
the perturbation + base state geopotential.

Should I be using only PH or (PH + PHB)?

In either case can the NCL documentation be updated to be less confusing?

Thanks Much
Bill Capehart <William.Capehart@sdsmt.edu> Associate Professor
Department of Atmospheric Sciences
213 Mineral Industries Building Skype/EVO: wcapehart
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Ph: +1-605-394-1994
501 East Saint Joseph Street Fax: +1-605-394-6061
Rapid City, SD 57701-3995 Mobile: +1-605-484-5692