Re: Why wind vectors could not be plotted in a sub-area with the same ncl codes?

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 11 2012 - 11:08:54 MDT

Hi Ed,

There's something I don't understand about your file.

Why does your data have rlat0/rlon0 coordinate arrays, which I would have thought would be lat/lon arrays, yet you are using tlat and tlon on the file?

Also, where did you get the map projection parameters from (i.e. the two parallels)? I think you have a rotated grid, and the projection may not be set correctly for your data.

I noticed that the Corners resources in your two scripts were slightly different. If I use the values from the plot_2.ncl file in the plot_1.ncl file, then I see more vectors.

However, there is a strange seam line in your contour plot, like things are not lining up quite right. This is why I think there's something wrong with the map projection used.

Please see the example on our rotated lat-lon grid page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/rotatedltln.shtml

Note that the example uses values on the file to get the map projection exactly right, without using hard-coded numbers. You may want to try something like this, if you have all the necessary map parameter information on the file. I didn't see it on the file you gave me, but maybe the original file has it?

--Mary