Read large volume data from modis files

From: Xin Xi <xxi_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Aug 21 2012 - 11:06:28 MDT

Hi there,
I am working on several thousand modis level 2 data files over a few years
and a large domain (30 degX40 deg). I want to read in several variables
from these modis files into a fixed grid domain at 0.1 degree resolution
for each day. I expect quite a few looping procedures, and it is very
likely that there will be multiple data points in the same grid, but the
count will vary, depending on the overlapping of modis passes and retrieval
quality. So I am wondering how I can deal with the data array (for each
cell) with unknown sizes/lengths? do I set it to "unlimited"? Also any
helpful advice are appreciated. Thanks!
Xin