Re: mjocliv_13 and mjocliv_14 examples

From: Carl Schreck <carl_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 05 2012 - 06:45:22 MDT

Hi Mike,

Examples 13 & 14 are a bit different than what you are trying to do.
Example 13 is plotting three univariate EOFs. So the OLR EOF is calculated
completely independent of the wind data, and the u850 EOF is independent of
the OLR and the u200.

Example 14 is the Wheeler-Hendon method of calculating a single EOF using
all three datasets.

I'll contact you offline and talk about how to do what you want....

   Carl

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Ventrice, Michael J <mventrice@albany.edu>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I'm trying to calculate the % variance for each individual variable that
> was used in my combined EOF analysis (using the mjocliv_14 code). I believe
> mjocliv_13 is a script that does this, correct? If so, why do the spatial
> structures of the leftmost example figure for mjocliv_13 look different the
> the leftmost example figure for mjocliv_14? The data being read into the
> scripts are the same, using the times, etc. This is also a result that I
> am getting with my own version of the script, and I'm wondering if this is
> correct.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>

> --
> Michael J. Ventrice
> Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences
> University at Albany, New York, ES 218
> MVentrice@albany.edu
> Mike.Ventrice@gmail.com
> http://mikeventrice.weebly.com/index.html

Carl J. Schreck III, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites (CICS-NC)
North Carolina State University and NOAA's National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
Tel: 828-257-3140
carl@cicsnc.org