Re: regarding political boundaries and lat/lon in .GIF animation

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Sep 16 2012 - 11:32:29 MDT

In the future, it would help us if you can include one of the frames of your GIF animation, and/or your NCL script.

As a guess, to get outlines, you may need to set:

   res@mpOutlineOn = True

By default, res@mpFillOn is set to True, and hence you get filled land instead of outlines. Once you set res@mpOutlineOn = True, then mpFillOn will automatically be set to False, and you should see outlines instead.

As for the lat/lon values along the axes: this depends on what type of map projection you have. If you are drawing the default cylindrical equidistant map projection (using a call to gsn_csm_contour_map or gsn_csm_contour_map_ce) then you should see the lat/lon values.

If you are doing any other kind of map projection that is rectangular, then you may need to set:

   res@pmTickMarkDisplayMode = "Always"

If you are generating a non-rectantular map projection, then you won't get lat/lon labels, and you will need to add them yourself. See examples mptick_10.ncl and mptick_12.ncl for examples of adding tickmarks to non-rectangular maps:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mptick.shtml

--Mary