Re: About colormap

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Sep 16 2012 - 11:16:59 MDT

Hi,

In NCL Versions 6.0.0 and earlier, if you use a named color, it must be in your color map.

So you are correct, you can't used "red" as a marker.

In NCL Versions 6.1.0-beta and later, you can used named colors without having to first add them to your color map.

To solve your problem, you have two options: you can upgrade to V6.1.0-beta, or you can see script "minmax_4.ncl" at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/minmax.shtml

for an example of how to replace an existing color in your color map with a named color. You have to use the "NhlSetColor" to add the colors, and then also set gsnSpreadColorEnd to make sure you don't use the newly added colors in your color contours. The gsnSpreadColorStart resource is also set just to make sure you use equal portions of the white and blue parts of your color map.

--Mary