Re: ARW Online tutorial NCL script is not working

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Dec 19 2012 - 10:28:14 MST

Kamal,

There's not enough information here. Dave is right that it looks like an NCARG_ROOT issue. This error:

    fatal:GetSysAppDir:Unable to get a default value for the system App Resource directory

is what indicates that either NCARG_ROOT wasn't set, or was set incorrectly.

But then when you showed your load commands below, it seems like there are other problems.

Are you loading the scripts with the full paths, or using $NCARG_ROOT? That is, do you literally have:

> load "/scinet/gpc/Applications6/ncl/6.1.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
> load "/scinet/gpc/Applications6/ncl/6.1.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
> load"/scinet/gpc/Applications6/ncl/6.1.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl"

or do you have (this is the preferred method):

> load"$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl"

where NCARG_ROOT is set to /scinet/gpc/Applications6/ncl/6.1.0?

Also, I'm wondering about this error:

>>> fatal:error at line 1 in file
>>> /scinet/gpc/Applications6/ncl/6.1.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl

This looks like something is wrong with this file, which means it was either changed incorrectly, or the file got corrupted.

Can you emal me the top part of your script *exactly at it appears* with the "load" commands, and then email me the following information:

   ncl -V
   env | grep NCARG
   ls -l $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf
   ls -l $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm

--Mary