Re: Parameter of function--filwgts_lanczos

From: Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <dave.allured_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Dec 14 2012 - 17:53:23 MST

Also, for climate research, I recommend that you look at filter
response curves in the *time domain* as well as the frequency domain.
Climatologists may be interested in the cutoff quality in terms of
adjacent time periods. In the low frequency cutoff area, there may be
some rather poor performance that is hidden in the frequency domain
curve!

Currently the NCL filter applications page does not have an example of
a time domain response curve. Please use the following general
purpose evaluation program to see the time domain curve! Look at the
third plot in the output series.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/people/dave.allured/data/ncl/demo/filter/plot-filter.lanczos.ncl

For the 421-weight filter, 2 to 7 years, notice how much out of band
signal gets through at the 8 year (96 month) cycle. Not so good, I
think, so you will need even more weights if you want to suppress the
8 year cycle!

--Dave