Re: areal average for ocean or land or coast only from multiyear datasets

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Dec 27 2012 - 18:04:24 MST

Hi Rafael,

Did you make sure that you don't already have a landsea mask on your data file? Or perhaps you have one, but it's on a different file?

If you don't have one, then you can create one from a shapefile. This is a one time thing, and then you can write this new mask array to a NetCDF file so you don't have to keep creating it from scratch.

Please see example mask_12.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mask.shtml#ex12

I found the shapefile by googling "coastal shapefiles" or something like that. The shapefile came from NOAA:

  http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/shorelines/data/gshhs/version2.2.0/

--Mary