areal average for ocean or land or coast only from multiyear datasets

From: rafael dido <raf.eldido_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Dec 27 2012 - 12:46:10 MST

Hallo NCL users,

I have 5 years datasets [time x lat x lon] 1 deg resolutions and recently
attempting to calculate areal average for
land or ocean only using masking function. I look into some documentations
such as http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/mask_1.ncl
and I just wonder how can i get the mask file for my purpose or is there
any other simple way to mask the land or ocean, and afterwards calculate
the areal avergae
for multiyear data ?

Thanks for the hints and response.

Raf.