Re: Attach lat/lon to variables

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Mar 07 2013 - 08:54:43 MST

On Mar 7, 2013, at 8:28 AM, Tracy Emerson wrote:

> Thanks, Mary
>
> Actually since I sent the email, I've decided to include national boundaries, which would use a mapping overlay right? Then I would be able to use the lat2d/lon2d?

Yes, that's correct, and you would no longer need the sfX/YArray resources. When you use the special lat2d/lon2d with functions like gsn_csm_contour_map, then internally the sfX/YArray resources are set to these two attributes *and* the code tries to determine if a cyclic point is needed.

Since you have WRF data, you want to be sure to also set:

  res@gsnAddCyclic = False

I've been meaning to create a WRF examples page that uses gsn_csm_xxxx scripts. I'll try to do something soon.

We have some, but they are out-of-date. See:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrflc.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrfmerc.shtml

Note that if you use lat2d/lon2d, you do *not* want to set "res@tfDoNDCOverlay = True".
Just don't set this resource at all, because it defaults to False.

--Mary