Re: Getting error when setting gsnMajorLatSpacing less than 1

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Mar 11 2013 - 13:26:00 MDT

Adam and Joeky,

I looked into this and originally had typed up a response that recommended mpGridSpacingF as Adam did here. But looking into the situation a little further, I discovered that gsnMajorLonSpacingF is actually a resource for tickmark spacing that seems to round any specified lat/lon value to the nearest degree. For example, I tried setting it to 1.4 and got tick spacing of
1 degree. So it apparently won't work for values less than 1 degree. mpGridSpacingF is for the lat/lon grid inside the map projected area and does work for values less than a degree.

gsnMajorLonSpacingF only applies when you are using the special tick marks that work only for lat/lon projections using the gsn routines. You could instead use the basic map tickmarks by
setting pmTickMarkDisplayMode to "always". This will give you tick marks for small areas of 1 degree or less. The downside is you have to accept what they give you -- which is degrees,
minutes, and seconds.
 -dave