Re: Legend on xy plots with multiple lines

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Sep 03 2013 - 11:30:35 MDT

Xin,

You can set the line patterns yourself using
the "xyDashPatterns" resource, and that
way know exactly which line patterns to
use in the legend:

res@xyDashPatterns = (/2,3,4/) ; just an example
. . .
plot = gsn_csm_xy(wks,x,y,res)

lgres = True
. . .
lgres@lgDashIndexes = (/2,3,4/) ; or you can use lgres@lgDashIndexes = res@xyDashPatterns
lgres@lgMonoDashIndex = False

Or, you can retrieve the value of "xyDashPatterns" from
the XY plot, and use this in your legend:

plot = gsn_csm_xy(wks,x,y,res)

getvalues plot@dataspec
  "xyDashPatterns" : dash_patterns
end getvalues

. . .

lgres@lgDashIndexes = dash_patterns
lgres@lgMonoDashIndex = False

See example "leg_13.ncl" at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/legend.shtml

This example is a bit lengthy, but it shows how to get information
from an XY plot so you can reconstruct a legend from scratch.

--Mary