fbinrecread question

From: <lsmith_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Sep 27 2013 - 13:53:30 MDT

Hi gang,
I'm trying to read a sequential, unformatted, binary Fortran format file
with each value stored as a single, REAL*4 value created on a Big Endian
machine. Supposedly the file contains 4321 rows x 8640 columns
of data. The file is 149368328 bytes.

I'm trying to use fbinrecread to read it.
My question is: what is the value I need for rec_num?
Recall this is supposed to be: "Record number to read from the file
beginning at 0."
If I try fbinrecread(infile,0,-1,"float") I get a 1-dimensional result
with only 8640 values.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
Thanks!
-Lesley Smith
NCAR ACD