Re: Memory size of data in NCL script

From: Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <dave.allured_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jan 27 2014 - 17:40:22 MST

Compressing files will not reduce the amount of memory needed by NCL,
because NCL must always uncompress data for internal use by your program.
 The one exception is scale/offset packed data, which is not a part of the
current discussion.

A good approach for very large data sets is to add a loop over one
dimension, then read, compute, and output results for one dimension step at
a time. Very often in climate science, this is the time dimension. You
need to learn how to efficiently use array subscripting on file variables.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclVariables.shtml#ReferencingFileVariables

By this method, you do NOT need to break up one large file into many small
files. That would be unneeded effort.

Many calculations are spread over one or more dimensions. For example,
spatial averaging over X and Y would require that you NOT loop over these
dimensions for processing one step at a time. Ih this case you would loop
over a different dimension such as time or level. In contrast, if you were
running a temporal filter on 3-D data, you would keep the time dimension
intact, and loop over X or Y. HTH.

--Dave