Re: Comparison between station data and WRF

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Feb 10 2014 - 08:51:46 MST

[1]
There are a number of functions provided by wrfhelp (cc'd here)
that can be used to perform various tasks on WRF data:

    https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/wrf.shtml

These wrfhelp functions do not have an explicit function
to interpolate gridded WRF model output to a user specified
lat/lon location. However, given the high resolution of WRF
models, using the nearest grid point to the station location
is, likely, more than adequate. Please see:

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_arw/wrf_user_ll_to_ij.shtml

---
[2]
An alternative approach would be to use ESMF regridding
    https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml
    See Example 28
[a] interpolate a WRF grid to a rectilinear grid
[b] use 'linint2_points' to interpolate to the station location.
---
[3]
"Calculate the evaluation parameter such as average, correlation
coefficient"
?? just use standard NCL functions.
The most common action is to perform a difference calculation.plot