Re: gsn_contour_shade hiding contours

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Feb 07 2014 - 16:50:36 MST

Hi Paula,

It would help if you could provide a sample image, or describe in more detail what your two sets of contours look like. For example, is the first plot a filled contour plot, and the second plot shaded contours? Or are they both shaded contours?

Also, how are you drawing the two plots on top of each other? Are you using "overlay"?

It sounds like at least one of the plots must be a color contour plot, so perhaps you need to play with making some of the colors transparent or partially transparent via the "cnFillOpacityF" resource, or by using an RGBA array for your contour fill, where you can set the "A" values as needed to create transparency.

To see some examples of this, see examples newcolor_5.ncl and newcolor_17.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/rgbacolor.shtml

You might also look at newcolor_10.ncl, which has two color contour plots overlaid, and it uses "read_colormap_file" and "cnFillPalette" to first read in the desired color table as an RGBA array, sets one of the colors to be fully transparent (the first color), and then sets this new color map using cnFillPalette.

If none of the above helps, the we will need more details about how you are creating your plot, and/or a sample image.

Thanks,

--Mary