Re: EOF Matlab to NCL

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Feb 12 2014 - 10:25:35 MST

Hi Miguel,

If you have NaNs in your data, this will indeed be a problem for NCL. You need to convert these NaN values to missing values.

This is covered in our FAQ:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/FAQ/#data_hand_004

and I'll include the FAQ question and its answer here:

Question: "Can NCL deal with NaN (not-a-number) values in my data?"

Answer: The computational and plotting functions in NCL cannot handle NaN values directly. You must first convert the NaN values to missing values.

To do this, use the "replace_ieeenan" function to convert the NaNs to missing values. You can optionally use "isnan_ieee" to first determine if any of your values are equal to NaN:

If "x" already has a _FillValue attribute:

  if (any(isnan_ieee(x))) then
    replace_ieeenan (x, x@_FillValue, 0)
  end if

If "x" doesn't have a _FillValue attribute:

  if (any(isnan_ieee(x))) then
    x@_FillValue = 1.e20 ; or whatever value you want to use
    replace_ieeenan (x, x@_FillValue, 0)
  end if