Adding shapefile outlines to an existing WRF contour/map plot

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Feb 19 2014 - 22:59:52 MST

A number of people have asked about adding shapefile outlines to a WRF plot.

I’ve added an example to our shapefiles example page, and I’ll include it here.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml#ex14

You should be able to use this script to plot any “HGT” variable from a WRF output file.

The shapefile outlines for the USA and Canada were downloaded from http://www.gadm.org/country.

The important key here is to set the special “PanelPlot” option to True before you call wrf_map_overlays.
If you don’t do this, then the contour plot will be removed after wrf_map_overlays is called.

—Mary