Re-mapping problems

From: George Lavidas <g.lavidas_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue May 20 2014 - 07:48:37 MDT

Hello

I am quite new to the ncl toolbox and I would like to ask a thing
concerning the regridding options.

I am using CFSR wind data maps that are taken for global scale and would
like to re-size them into a smaller grid so I can obtain the netCDF
information only for a specified area and use them for wave simulations.

I previously tried with the CDO toolbox as well to re-build the map to
my own preferences but that resulted to a "zeroing" of the coordinates
of the wind files not giving me the correct wind fields to simulate
As you can see in the attached picture the actual result i got was far
from the area that wanted the wind components to affect and was limited
only to a small rectangular area on the upper left corner.

I think I can use some of the scripts from the on the ncl page
(https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/concepts_list.shtml)

But I am confused on the process

My task is to remap the grid into a regular one with resolution 720x361
(or 0.5x0.5 degrees or less) then "trim" the area I want into my desired
shape and by using a python script I have written extract the wind
components so i can insert them to my simulation.

Any advice would be helpful, since I am new to large data manipulation
and extraction.

Thank you very much for your help in advance
George

--
George Lavidas
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.