Re: Re-mapping problems

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue May 20 2014 - 19:21:59 MDT

George,

Do you have a sample CFSR dataset you can point us to? I need to know what
kind of grid it’s on before I can answer this question. By this I mean is your
data on a rectilinear grid, a curvilinear grid, or an unstructured grid?

Also, how big is the original lat/lon grid?

Meanwhile, please check out our ESMF regridding page, which has our most
robust regridding capabilities.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml

The ESMF_regrid_x.ncl scripts on this page are probably the ones you want to
look at, as they are a bit more simple than the ESMF_all_x.ncl scripts.

Most of these examples show how to regrid from some grid to a specific degree
of grid, like 0.25 degree, or 1 degree. You can look at examples 4, 7, 10, and 15
to start with:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml#ex4
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml#ex7
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml#ex10
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml#ex15

Finally, we have some ESMF regridding templates at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Templates/#ESMFRegriddingTemplates

If you know your data is curvlinear (represented by 2D lat and 2D lon arrays), then
you might want to look at the ESMF_curv_to_1deg.ncl script (it’s easy to change the
“1deg” to “0.5deg”).

Or, if your data is rectilinear, then look at “ESMF_rect_to_5deg.ncl”.

—Mary