Re: maximize panel plots created by viewport specifications

From: Karin Meier-Fleischer <meier-fleischer_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jun 19 2014 - 11:47:26 MDT

Hi,

using "x11" as plot output the plotting space is quadratic. If you =
choose "pdf" it
places the "x11" square plot in the middle of a rectangular plotting =
space
(like a piece of paper).

You could use ImageMagicks 'convert' to cut off white space around the =
plot:

   convert -alpha off -background white -density 300 -trim input.pdf =
output.pdf

Hope this helps,
Karin

Am 19.06.2014 um 18:38 schrieb Verena Lili <verena.prick@gmail.com>:

> Hallo,
>
> I recently created multiple plots via viewport specifications as in =
this example (http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/panel_9.ncl). =
The reason I did not use panel plot function because I have specific =
issue with the overlay function.
> Well, the multiple plots look OK locating in each zones as I defined =
before using vpX/vpY/vpWidth/vpHeight resources. Once I compiled my plot =
using X11, it seems that all figures fit withhin the whole page, BUT =
when I print them in PDF format, the figures do not occupy the whole =
page. I experimented using the RESIZING technique =
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/resize.shtml but it does not =
effect the output in PDF. Any Idea how to remove the white border in pdf =
, i.e. how to maximize the plot in ton the whole page.

> Thanks
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dr. Verena.
> School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
> Stony Brook University
> homepage: http://www.somas.stonybrook.edu/

Dipl. Geophys. Karin Meier-Fleischer
Application Support, Visualization

Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum GmbH E-Mail:
meier-fleischer@dkrz.de

Bundesstrasse 45a Internet: http://www.dkrz.de/
20146 Hamburg Phone: +49 (0)40 460094 126
Germany Fax: +49 (0)40 460094 270

Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Thomas Ludwig
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 39784