Re: Palmer Drought Severity Index (PDSI) code?

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jun 23 2014 - 07:36:37 MDT

[1] Currently, there is no PDSI or scPDSI function available via NCL.

    A f77 code to calculate the traditional PDSI is at:
      NCDC FORTAN code: ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/software/palmer/pdi.f

[2] netCDF PDSI & scPDSI files spanning 1850/01 to 2010/12 are available at:

      http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/data.pdsi.html

    Also see:
https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-data/palmer-drought-severity-index-pdsi
https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-data/cru-sc-pdsi-self-calibrating-pdsi-over-europe-north-america

Example 7 at: http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/cru.shtml

[3] The SPI (Standardized Precipitation Index) is the index recommended
    by the WMO for monitoring drought. See:

      http://www.wmo.int/pages/mediacentre/press_releases/pr_872_en.html

    Also See:
https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-data/standardized-precipitation-index-spi

[4] The NCL 6.3 release will likely have the SPEI (The Standardized
    Precipitation Evapotranspiration Index) which correlates well with
    the scPDSI. It requires only monthly temperature and precipitation.
    No soil information. See:

https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-data/standardized-precipitation-evapotranspiration-index-spei
    Read the description.

Some SPEI data available via: http://sac.csic.es/spei/database.html