Re: Volume transports in the Atlantic

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT ucar.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 07:29:22 MST

    Hello Anders,

    I am not an oceanographer so I can not be much help.
    I will send the email to one of the oceanography people
    after I clarify a few things.

    On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Anders Ăman wrote:

    > Hello there,
    > I 've a problem, that someone might be able and help me with.
    > I'm using POP in order to calculate the the Volume transport in the Atlantic

    I assume you mean you are using output from the POP model.

    > from top to bottom at different transects.
    > The balance should come out as about -1 SV or there about. This is a result
    > that I get at 25N and latitudes south of the equator.
    > On the other hand if I move north I would expect to get about the same, but
    > get quite a lot of variations.
    > I'm trying to stay very close to the model when coding, which is done in NCL.

    The model is written in fortran [f90/95].

    You are processing output from the POP model using NCL. The NCL script
    is using a formulation that is "very close" to that used in the (fortran) model.

    > If you or someone else have heard of a similar problem I would be grateful to
    > hear it. Should you require the code I'll be happy to send it to you.

    The honest truth is that the oceanography people
    will not likely look at code. :-(

    The POP is [as you know] on a curvilinear grid where the 'pole'
    is over (say) Greenland. There is considerable 'curvature' of the grid.

         http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/pop.shtml

         [Click "POP Grid" ... this is one particular grid .. there are others]

    You say the transports look reasonable at 25N and at latitudes south of the
    equator. In these regions, the POP grid is (more-or-less) like a regular
    rectilinear lat/lon grid. Thus, if you are using a formulation based on
    a rectilinear regular grid, then the SV transport will be reasonable.
    The transports at higher latitudes would not be.

    So .....

    Are you calculating the transports using the model curvilinear grid?
    Or, are you using the PopLatLon function to transform the output to
    a regular lat/lon grid and then calculating the transport?

    What POP model are you using?