Re: four dimensions not three

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jan 25 2011 - 12:43:44 MST

  fi = addfile("nrl_iasnfs_2010060112.nc","r")

  elev = fi->Elevation ; ( Time, Latitude, Longitude )
  printVarSummary(elev)

or

  elev = fi->Elevation(0,:,:) ; ( Latitude, Longitude )
  printVarSummary(elev)

===
See also:
    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/regrid.shtml
    Example 13

Good luck

On 01/25/2011 11:20 AM, donna Cote wrote:
> Howdy all, I have a set of data to store in a PostGIS database and to
> use to create images. I've looked at a bathymetry example which I
> grabbed from www.arsc.eu/~kate/grids/grid_cdf.ncl as well as the
> native_5.ncl example on the NCL web site. I have attached a sample
> topography.gif and its associated topography.nc (separate from the
> ias_2010060112.nc file which is 37Mb).
>
> Now, I'm rusty with my ncl and could use some help and/or pointers. I'm
> sure someone has already worked with data like this. I'm stuck on the
> lines in the example native_5.ncl script which are:
> file1 = addfile(FILENAME1,"r")
> field1 = file1->$FIELDNAME1$(TIME1,::-1,:)
>
> A summary of this data looks like this:
>
> filename: ias_2010060112.nc
> variable type dimension long_name units
> Time integer 1D Elapse Time hour
> (Notes: start 2010-06-01 00:00:00 FORM YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss)
> Longitude float 1D Longitude deg E
> Latitude float 1D Latitude deg N
> Depth float 1D Depth m
> Elevation float 3D Surface Elevation m
> dimensions: Time, Latitude, Longitude
> Temperature float 4D Potential Temperature deg C
> dimensions: Time, Depth, Latitude, Longitude
> Salinity float 4D Salinity ppt
> dimensions: Time, Depth, Latitude, Longitude
> U-Velocity float 4D U-component Velocity m/s
> dimensions: Time, Depth, Latitude, Longitude
> V-Velocity float 4D V-component Velocity m/s
> dimensions: Time, Depth, Latitude, Longitude
> Bottom_U-Velcity float 3D U-Velocity 100m above bottom m/s
> dimensions: Time, Latitude, Longitude
> Bottom_V-Velcity float 3D V-Velocity 100m above bottom m/s
> dimensions: Time, Latitude, Longitude
> MLD float 3D Surface Mixed-Layer Depth m
> dimensions: Time, Latitude, Longitude
>

> I have a filedump here:
>
> $ ncl_filedump nrl_iasnfs_2010060112.nc
> Copyright (C) 1995-2009 - All Rights Reserved
> NCAR Command Language Version 5.1.1
> The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
> See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
> Variable: f (file variable)
>
> filename: nrl_iasnfs_2010060112
> path: nrl_iasnfs_2010060112.nc
> file global attributes:
> source : NRL_IASNFS/Ko
> title : GOMEX_Forecast_Daily_Average
> dimensions:
> Time = 1
> Longitude = 401
> Latitude = 261
> Depth = 22
> variables:
> integer Time ( Time )
> long_name : Elapse Time
> units : hour
> FORTRAN_format : i8
> start : 2010-06-01 00:00:00
> FORM : YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss
>
> float Longitude ( Longitude )
> long_name : Longitude
> units : deg E
> FORTRAN_format : f8.3
>
> float Latitude ( Latitude )
> long_name : Latitude
> units : deg N
> FORTRAN_format : f8.3
>
> float Depth ( Depth )
> [...]

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |