Re: Map + histogram

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Apr 13 2011 - 09:44:16 MDT

Hi Louis,
Andrea's idea is one way to get everything looking the way you want. If
you want to give it a shot in NCL here's what I would do:

Use gsn_panel to place the 4 histograms. Within your panel resource
list, set gsnPanelXWhiteSpacePercent to something like 40:

plot = new(3,graphic)
do gg = 0,3
    plot(gg) = gsn_histogram(wks,x(gg,:),False)
end do
panres = True
panres@gsnPanelXWhiteSpacePercent = 40.
panres@gsnFrame = False
gsn_panel(wks,plot,(/2,2/),panres)

For the map plot, specify the exact location of the plot between the
histograms by specifying vpXF and vpYF, which are the left and top
starting points for the plot in NDC coordinates. vpXF ranges from
0.0->1.0 from the left to the right side of the page. vpYF ranges from
0.0->1.0 from the bottom to the top of the page.

You can use drawNDCGrid:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Shea_util/drawNDCGrid.shtml
to visualize the NDC grid space that vpYF/vpXF corresponds to.

res = True
res@vpXF = 0.3
res@vpYF = 0.8
res@mpMinLatF = 1.
res@mpMaxLatF = 15.
res@mpMinLonF = 7.5
res@mpMaxLonF = 17.5
res@gsnFrame = False
map = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,data,res)
drawNDCGrid(wks) ; draw for assistance in plot placement
frame(wks)

Obviously other resources will need to be set, but hopefully that gets
you going in the right direction..
Adam