Re: plot station data and adding polygon from shape file

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 21 2011 - 16:36:12 MDT

Hi Mark,
I can answer questions 2 and 3.. Someone else will have to chime in for
question #1... answers are below

On 09/21/2011 11:59 AM, Mark Chan wrote:
> Dear NCL users,
>
> The attached files are NCL script and its plot (I didn't attach data
> file since it is too big).
>
> My questions are as:
>
> question 1: How to plot the station data by extrapolation so the plot
> could cover the whole target region?
> question 2: The boundary is another shape file, how to change the
> "boundary line" ( lnres@gsLineThicknessF = 2.0), make it different from
> the line inside target region.

Right now you are calling attach_shapefile_polyline to draw your
polylines. You are passing in the file, the workstation, the plot, and
the line_color. I would pass through a 5th array, a generic attribute
array (more complicated), or simply a float value denoting the line
thickness.
change this:
function attach_shapefile_polyline(f:file,wks,plot,line_color)
to this:
function attach_shapefile_polyline(f:file,wks,plot,line_color,lt)

change this:
lnres@gsLineThicknessF = 1.0
to this:
lnres@gsLineThicknessF = lt

and these:
map = attach_shapefile_polyline(f2,wks,map,"white")
map = attach_shapefile_polyline(f1,wks,map,"black")
to these:
map = attach_shapefile_polyline(f2,wks,map,"white",1.0)
map = attach_shapefile_polyline(f1,wks,map,"black",2.0)

> question 3: I also want to display the mark points, how to bring the
> mark to the front.

You need to tell NCL to draw the mark points last. You can do that by
altering the draw order:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/draworder.shtml

Specifically, you want to set mkres@tfPolyDrawOrder = "PostDraw"
Hope that helps!