Re: Wrfout wind profiler scripting

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2011 - 15:41:45 MDT

Hi Elliot,
Sure, you can overlay, but as you said I'm not quite sure where you
would put the overlaid (pressure based) wind barbs. You could offset the
overlaid wind barbs by plotting the sigma wind barbs at say
(/0.8,1.8,2.8.3.8/), and then the pressure wind barbs at
(/1.2,2.2,3.2,4.2/)... Note that if you do that the sigma and pressure
values would have to be in the same range.

To do all this you would create a 2nd plot, say, windlayer2, and set:
res2D@vfYArray = your_pressure_level_array
windlayer2 =
gsn_vector_scalar(wks,ugrid(bottom_top|:,Time|:),vgrid(bottom_top|:,Time|:),wspd(bottom_top|:,Time|:),uv_res)

then
<snip>
overlay(loglin,windlayer) ; overlay plot with the loglin plot
overlay(loglin,windlayer2) ; overlay 2nd plot with the loglin plot
draw(loglin)
frame(wks) ; now frame the plot

I've never specifically done this type of thing, but I see no reason why
it wouldn't work.

Finally, looking at your plot (contains default fonts) it looks to me
like you don't have a .hluresfile set up in your home directory. We
recommend you set one up, if for no other reason that you change your
function code from : to ~:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/hlures.shtml

Hope that helps..
Adam

On 09/14/2011 03:16 PM, Tardif, Elliot M wrote:
> Hi Adam, thanks very much for your response! After some further analysis,
> I think using pressure as my y-axis variable would be more suitable.
>The big challenge is how to fit the plotting of the pressure variable
into
> the script. I have the plot of the winds and wind speed

("windlayer =
gsn_vector_scalar(wks,ugrid(bottom_top|:,Time|:),vgrid(bottom_top|:,Time|:),wspd(bottom_top|:,Time|:),uv_res)"),

> but there's no room in this particular program to plot the wind barbs on
pressure levels across the time period, instead of on sigma levels. I
want to plot them
like this to show the variation in pressure for a given sigma level
across the
time period. Will an overlay of some type work in this case?