Re: How to customize the size of plot drawed gsn_csm_contour_map

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Oct 31 2011 - 14:17:35 MDT

Since you are plotting data over a map, NCL will by default adjust your settings for vpWidthF and vpHeightF so as to not skew the map.

If you are okay with the map being skewed, then you additionally need to set:

   res@mpShapeMode = "FreeAspect"

This will tell NCL that you're okay with having the map skewed.

Also make sure that you are *not* setting:

   res@gsnMaximize = True

as this will override your vpXXX settings.

For a related example, see panel_20.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml

This shows how to use the vpXXX resources for paneling four plots on a page.This particular example doesn't do anything with mpShapeMode, however.

--Mary