Re: how to indice the data arrays in file by variable?

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat Nov 05 2011 - 07:31:06 MDT

Please read the mini-Language Manual at
     http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/

Also, peruse the Reference manual

---
As described in the manuals:
   (1) NCL indexing (subscripts) are 0-based like C, C++, ...
   (2) Using [...] is not correct ($vNames[1]$ ==> $vNames(1)$ )
   (3) When using strings via -> you must enclose the string with $
   nNames = dimsizes (vNames)
   do i=0,nNames-1
      flvar = gbfile->$vNames(i)$
      printVarSummary(flvar)
      delete(flvar)             ; size and shape may change
   end do                       ; space between 'end' and 'do'
On 11/5/11 3:07 AM, haohao Tsing wrote:
> further more
> I tried :
> flvar=gbfile->$vNames[1]$
> but still failed with such a error message:
> fatal:List subscripting used on non-list variable, can't continue
>
> fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 41 in file file.ncl
>
> 在 2011年11月5日 下午4:53,haohao Tsing <haohaorain@gmail.com
> <mailto:haohaorain@gmail.com>>写道:
>
>     hi ,ncl users:
>     I want to read the variables by arrays
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/>     this script failed for
“gbfile->vNames" ,vNames should be the name