Re: Some question about the figure plot

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jul 25 2013 - 20:50:49 MDT

It looks like you are running an older version of NCL.

With NCL versions 6.0.0 and earlier, if you use a named color like "gray", you must make sure "gray" is actually in your current color map. Otherwise, you will get the closest match to some color in your color map.

With NCL versions 6.1.0 and later, if you use a named color, you don't need to add it to your color map.

See:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/FAQ/#vis_036

Also, with the newer NCL, the default font is helvetica, so that might explain why the fonts are running off the page with one of the plots.

Probably the reason why your plot is running off the page is because your base plot may be too big to fit in the size you've given it via vpWidthF and vpHeightF.

Try making those resources smaller, or, instead of calling draw and frame yourself, try setting gsnMaximize to False, and then maximizing the plots with:

; draw(plot3(0))
; frame(wks3)

   maximize_output(wks3,True)

See mptick_12.ncl for an example: