Re: Paneling attached plots

From: Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Oct 28 2013 - 22:55:18 MDT

Hi Mary and all,

Although I didn't have any custom function calls in my original code, I
decided to do some up similar to what you and Carl have both mentioned now.
However, that does not resolve the problem in the slightest and the errors
I'm receiving are the same as before. Interestingly, I've also removed any
use of arrays from my code as well, thinking that may have been causing
problems, but to no avail.

I've prepared two scripts and the provided the relevant data files at
http://marrella.meteor.wisc.edu/~ksgriffin2/npac/temp/
You'll see two nc files and two different ncl scripts. The
share_panel_hov.ncl script is my original, where each plot is first
plotted, saved at the appropriate panel of an arrary, overlay the two x2y
plots, and attach to a hovmoller within a loop that loops over each panel.
This script plots as desired if gsn_attach_plots is taken out and the
number of panels in the panel plot is doubled to allow the unattached plots
to be plotted as shown in the one image that is in the folder.

The share_fxn_panel_hov.ncl script is an attempt to modify my original
script with exterior functions as you have done in the attach+panel
example. It also eliminates the loop over panels and instead tries to
create a single-panel image, although this results in an identical error to
the previous script.

You'll also notice that this is within a larger loop where these paneled
plots are being made for each season, but the workspace is created from
scratch and deleted within the loop each time and I'mpretty sure this is
outside the time frame when the plot IDs would need to be preserved. As I
understand, the plot IDs in each member of the array (or, in the second
script, the distinct 1-D variable) is sufficient storage of the plot IDs.

The output I'm getting with both scripts, run exactly as they are within
the folder linked above, is (output from first script shown):
-----
(0) 0000 UTC 1 Dec 1980
(0) 0000 UTC 31 Dec 1980
(0) 0000 UTC 30 Jan 1981
fatal:Invalid plot ID=189 passed to NhlGetBB
warning:pmOverlaySequenceIds isn't a resource in this object
warning:NhlGetValues:Error retrieving pmOverlaySequenceIds
fatal:["Execute.c":8470]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 1726 in
file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8470]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 6424 in
file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8470]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 7123 in
file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8470]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 171 in
file share_panel_hov.ncl

----
Since this is identical for both scripts, my remaining thought was that the
x2y plot might have issues being identified as the appropriate plot class
after being overlain, but a quick test also shows this persists in trying
to attach a simple xy plot without any overlay.
I'm hoping that I've just made a simple error in the plotting somewhere
along the way, but I've failed to identify where my code differs from the
code in the new panel_10.ncl example and what Carl suggested as well. Any
other thoughts? Thanks so much...
Kyle
Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706