Re: insert a small equation/notaion in "gsnLeftString"

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Oct 31 2013 - 21:58:08 MDT

Dear Xi,

Jatin is correct. You can only use one "function code" at a time. If you try to use multiple function codes. you may see many warnings of the form:

"PLCHHQ - CHARACTER NUMBER 10 (w) IS NOT A LEGAL FUNCTION CODE".

In versions 6.1.0 and later, the "~" character is the default function code, unless you have a ".hluresfile" in your home directory with "textFuncCode" set to a different character.
For more information on this ".hluresfile", see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/hlures.shtml

In versions earlier than 6.1.0, the ":" character was the default function code.

Creating equations in NCL is not straightforward unfortunately, and using the "H" and "V" is currently the only way to get these overbar and underbar type of characters. Jatin gave you the best link to use for examples:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/eqn.shtml

--Mary