Newly appearing PLCHHQ errors

From: Jared Lee <jaredlee_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Nov 12 2013 - 14:14:29 MST

Hi, I just recently started encountering "PLCHHQ - CHARACTER NUMBER ##(
) IS NOT A LEGAL FUNCTION CODE" errors with multiple NCL scripts
yesterday (with different characters flagged as illegal function codes
in different scripts). The version of NCL I'm using currently is "NCAR
Command Language Version 6.2.0-12Nov2013_0234" on Yellowstone. Prior to
yesterday these same exact scripts ran error-free and warning-free.

Searching the ncl-talk archives and the NCL FAQ, the usual suggestion
for how to get rid of this issue is to make sure there's a .hluresfile
in one's home directory. I didn't have one there previously, but now I
do (copied directly from
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/hlures.shtml), though I am
still getting the same PLCHHQ errors with or without the ~/.hluresfile
present.

As an example with a specific script, I get multiple errors of "PLCHHQ -
CHARACTER NUMBER 48 ()) IS NOT A LEGAL FUNCTION CODE" when I run the WRF
SCM plotting example "wrf_scm_1.ncl" found at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrfscm.shtml

The only change I made is to diri and fili for where my WRF SCM output
file is on Yellowstone. Included in the output from that example is
this from variable t:

Variable: t
Type: float
Total Size: 14160 bytes
             3540 values
Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes: [Time | 60] x [bottom_top | 59]
Coordinates:
             bottom_top: [0.9962452..0.01600713]
Number Of Attributes: 6
   FieldType : 104
   MemoryOrder : XYZ
   description : perturbation potential temperature (theta-t0)
   units : K
   stagger :
   coordinates : XLONG XLAT

However, for the plot that's generated for me now with the PLCHHQ
errors, the title for the temperature one is just "perturbation
potential temperature (theta-t". (It's cutting off the "0)" from the
end of the description.)

Is there any way to stop these error messages? Was there some very
recent change to NCL that might have caused these errors to start
occurring? Any advice would be appreciated.

Jared

--
Dr. Jared A. Lee