Re: Using tdez3d to plot 3D isosurfaces

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 08:43:40 MST

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, qgeng wrote:

> Dear all:
>
> I am using NCL tdez3d (....) to plot 3D isosurfaces of cloud liquid water.
> I met the following problems:
> (1) I do not know how to remove the wire-frames on the isosurfaces. For
> publication figures, I do not want
> to have wire frames on the cloud plots.
> (2) Is there a way that I can plot several pannels of tdez3d plots on one
> frame?
> I tried gsn_panel(...) but I do not know how to transform the output of
> tdez3d into
> a plot object that I can put into gsn_panel.
> I used
> plot(0)=tdez3d(...)
> plot(1)=tdez3d(...)
> but an error occurred when I excute the ncl script.
>
> It will be greatly appreciated if you could answer my questions.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dr. Quanzhen Geng
> Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences
> University of British Columbia
> Canada

Dear Dr. Geng,

The "tdez3d" routine is unique in that it is not actually being
generated by NCL graphics, but rather by a direct interface to a
low-level graphics routine. It was written as a quick-and-dirty way
for users to generate 3D graphics. Since it is not an NCL "object"
like contour, vector, map, and streamline plots are, it doesn't have a
set of resources associated with it for customizing the graphics.
Thus, it won't work with something like gsn_panel, which requires the
setting of viewport resources in order to position the plots on the
page.

If you want more customization of your 3D graphics, I would suggest
looking into an NCAR Graphics version of your program, via the
"Tdpack" utility. You can find out more about the C and Fortran
version of Tdpack from:

    http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/supplements/tdpack/contents.html

There's a C and Fortran version of the "tdez3d" routine as well:
as well:

   http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/supplements/tdpack/routines.html#TDEZ3D

Note that the "IST" parameter is what allows you to control various
things about your isosurface. However, if you want even more control
than this, then you should look at some of the other Tdpack examples:'

   http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/supplements/tdpack/examples.html