Re: Can legends be used with Histograms

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 11:06:15 -0700

Hi Craig,

We have some examples of creating a legend using gsn_create_legend,
and gsn_add_annotation if you want to "attach" it to your plot.

See example 19 at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/xy.shtml#ex19

or example 8 on our legends page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/legend.shtml#ex8

If you don't like the style of legend from the above, then you can
create your own using polyline, polygon, and/or text calls.

See examples 8 and 10 at:

  http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/polyg.shtml

By the way, I'm working on a not-yet-finished page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/concepts_list.shtml

This page will list various things you want to accomplish in NCL, like
"manually creating a legend", and then list the pages and examples
that contain this concept.

Along the same idea are two pages that list every function and
resource in NCL, and the application examples they appears in:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/func_list.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/res_list.shtml

These three links can be found at the top of the main applications
page. Not every function or resource appears in an example, but these
should give you a good start.

--Mary