Re: Black and white shadding plot for positive and negative values

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:58:07 -0600

Hi Ed,
It is unlikely that you will always find an applications example that
exactly fits your needs. If example 10 is close to what you want, you
should start by modifying the graphical resources from that example.

I took coneff_10.ncl, added a gray colormap:
gsn_define_colormap(wks,"gsdtol")

told NCL to use different Fill Colors (or in this case, a different
color for each pattern)
res_at_cnMonoFillColor = False

altered the cnFillScales resource to keep the scaling the same for all
positve / all negative values:
res_at_cnFillScales = (/0.4,0.4,0.4 \ ; line density
                           , 1., 1., 1. \ ; default [no op]
                           ,0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5/) ; stiple density

and set the cnFillColors resource:
res_at_cnFillColors = (/3,21,30,-1,-1,-1,30,26,21,15,3/)

The resulting image is attached.
Hopefully that is what you were looking for.
Adam

Yang Yang wrote:
> Hi Dennis:
>
> Thank you very much for letting me know the possible examples in NCL website.
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/coneff.shtml example 10 is close to what I want.
>
> However, it would be much better if the texture is the same for positive values or negative values, respectively, and the value levels are denoted by shading with darker shade for larger values.
>
> Ed

Adam Phillips			             asphilli_at_ucar.edu
National Center for Atmospheric Research   tel: (303) 497-1726
ESSL/CGD/CAS                               fax: (303) 497-1333
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000	  http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/asphilli