Extra Points on Contour Maps

From: Josh Thompson <josht_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu May 13 2010 - 01:19:41 MDT

Hi all,

I am trying to produce some plots that are at a low resolution, but
only cover a very small area (something like 4x4 degrees). The problem
I am running into is, there don't seem to be enough points within the
area for NCL to make contours. I am using "AreaFill" and have tried
"RasterFill". With those two fill modes, I get a blank plot (except
outlines; also, the field is not constant 0). "CellFill" works, but I
need the smooth(rounded) contour lines. I know my data is good,
because I can successfully plot a larger area.

My question is, is it possible to have the contour lines drawn with
consideration of points that aren't in the viewable area? In other
words, can I have NCL plot, and create smooth contours, with a large
area of points, then zoom into a smaller area while keeping the
contours intact?

Thanks!

-Josh Thompson