Re: station data example

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue May 18 2010 - 09:34:46 MDT

        Belem 1° 27' S 48° 29' W
        Belo Horizonte 19° 56' S 43° 57' W
        Brasilia 15° 52' S 47° 55' W
        Curitiba 25° 25' S 49° 17' W
        Fortaleza 3° 46' S 38° 33' W
        Porto Alegre 30° 2' S 51° 13' W
        Recife 8° 4' S 34° 53' W
        Rio De Janeiro 22° 55' S 43° 12' W
        Salvador 13° 0' S 38° 30' W
        Sao Paulo 23° 33' S 46° 38' W

On May 18, 2010, at 5:26 AM, carina.padilha@ufpel.edu.br wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am Carina, meteorologist of Federal University of Pelotas/Brazil and here we
> are starting to use ncl to develop graphics products that will improve the
> visualization of meteorological data. We are trying to use the example:
> http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/station_1.ncl to learn ncl.
> This example uses stn_latlon.dat file to plot the informations. We would like to
> plot data over south of Brazil, but we don't know how to change the area. Is
> there a way to plot station data without using stn_latlon.dat file? If not, how
> can I change this file to south of Brazil area?
>
> best regards
>
> Carina

Hi Carina,

I've attached an NCL script that shows how to create a map of Brazil, and then attach
some markers and text strings at given lat/lon locations.

You will need to provide the station data in some format. It can be in an ASCII file,
NetCDF file, shapefile, etc.

There are lots of examples of reading different types of files. For example,
for reading ASCII, binary, or shapefiles:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/read_ascii.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/r-binary.shtml

For more examples on how to plot markers and text on a map, see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/polyg.shtml

Example 11 on the above page is a plot of Brazil.

Good luck,